Friday, March 20, 2009

River Video Test

After buying a camcorder a few weeks ago, I've been experimenting with shooting short films of my paintings and collages. The interesting aspect of working in this manner has changed my perspective of observing art. As if flying over a landscape, I now have a bird's eye view which reveals details lost when studying the entire piece at once. When playing back the video I was struck by how closely the experience resembles my dreams where often I'm flying over environments, swooping down to examine a situation more closely and then soaring back to greater heights. Also, working in this genre has forced me to learn a new language--imovie. It seems like a relatively intuitive program to use, but I'm disappointed that I can't layer images or add sound editing. I guess my next investment will have to be FinalCutPro. There's a natural resistance for me at first to spend more time on the computer when what I really love to do is manipulate paint. But I am thoroughly enjoying the investigation of working in cross media platforms, where I can include my photography, painting, light, sound, and motion. 
More to come...
    

2 comments:

  1. yes, final cut. see ifyou can go in with other students. take tommy beckers video class. LAYERING IMAGES is your next step...and more work with sound. fer sure, you are onto something here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. TEXTURE is fantastic, esp. in translation.

    ReplyDelete