Saturday, March 21, 2009

Intermedia Machine

The constant challenge to be able to communicate in our fast-paced technological society is dependent upon our ability to use the current tools, which seem to change rapidly.  As technology marches forward, leaving behind those individuals who can't keep up with the techno-savvy crowd, we are creating a culture of obsolete people and machines, amassing hugh volumes of potentially toxic waste and producing a greater divide between the "Haves" and "Have Nots". 

This sculpture called "Obsolete" incorporates outdated objects that were once very useful and informative tools for communication. To build the sculpture, first I collected a wide variety of trashed items: a phone, radio, calculator, 8 track tapes, vinyl albums, cassette tapes, keyboard, film reels, slide carousels and a film viewer. All purchased for 20 bucks at the local treasure warehouse, Urban Ore. Then I began to deconstruct each item and reassemble them together into a new machine of dysfunction. The use of a glue gun provided fake cob webs, creating an antique look and dark blue paint in the background evokes an ominous feeling. The only truly function component is the film viewer (generously salvaged from a friend) which allows me to interact with the obsolete machine in a frustrating and comical manner. I inserted one of its instructional films and tape called "Innovative Thinking" as a communication platform to dialogue with the art for my performance.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rico,
    I really loved your Obsolete piece, especially the performance that went with it. Really authentic and funny too... Great work. I also really liked the scale of your final piece for the show on Saturday. It took me by surprise the first time I walked through the door, I was literally wow'ed! The projection on the lantern was cool and I wanted to go sit in the chair, but was not sure if I was supposed to.. :-)
    Great job this quarter... I hope to see you next quarter... it wouldn't be the same with you in one of my classes!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rico,

    Your work this quarter has really blown me away, i too loved Obsolete, and again, encourage you to email craig about the possibility of putting it (or performing with it) in one of his OC shows: othercine@hotmail.com
    meanwhile, your final project was the perfect intersection of intermedia...blending 2d, 3d and time, i can't think of anything you didn't touch on in your explorations this quarter- you truly EMBRACED intermedia! thank you for your peaceful presence, fascinating mind and great art!

    ReplyDelete