Saturday, March 21, 2009

Exodus Dream

Last Fall I had an epic dream about witnessing a mass exodus. As far as I could see behind me and as far as I could see in front of me there were crowds of people migrating from a distant war-torn land across a vast barren and formidable landscape. They were moving slowly, with heads down in exhaustion. Fear and anxiety filled the air. I couldn't see their faces clearly, but felt somehow compelled to warn them that the safe place they were journeying to was no better or safer than the place they had left. When I awoke from the dream, I shared their dread. It made me think about how over the course of history numerous tribes, communities and religious groups have had to flee their homeland as refugees in hopes of finding sanctuary elsewhere. 

This dream led to a series of paintings that attempt to recapture the emotions, movement and sense of place I was experiencing in my subconscious. Filming them together and adding sound helped convey the essence of what I was feeling. The entire piece is over an hour long and will be exhibited at JFKU as part of our Intermedia class's final critique presentation. I've included a small sampling above to share with you and hopefully receive constructive feedback. Thanks 

1 comment:

  1. the evolution of this work has been inspiring! there is so much movement in your paintings as 2D, and so exciting to see where they are going with the added movement of time. let's talk more about how you might incorporate "experimental cinema" into your artist repertoire as you continue in the program...i would love to see where this would take you.

    ReplyDelete